This new school campus, commenced construction in September 2015 on a green field site in Balbriggan, County Dublin. It consists of 2 schools; a new 1000 pupil Post Primary school, and a 24 classroom primary school. The site forms part of an elevated coastal landscape with panoramic views of the town centre and its adjacent coastline. The site will integrate with the proposed adjacent residential area to the northern and eastern boundaries and the proposed Science and Technology Park to the south and west.
The design arranges both schools to have equal importance in relation to the approach, main entrance and car parking into a landscaped campus ensuring that all opportunities for play spaces are used effectively.
The post primary school forms the main frontage in three distinct classroom blocks along the new boulevard linking two existing roads. The design centres on a large open plan General Purpose Hall, with departments radiating out in wings. The two storey Primary school is arranged around a central landscape courtyard. Both designs aim to maximise the opportunities for natural light and incidental social space.
Department of Education and Skills, Ireland
Service Full Architectural Service
Project Value €17.6M
Status Construction, site works commenced 28.09.15