Larne Market Yard
The newly refurbished Larne Market Yard was officially re–opened by Larne Mayor, Councillor Maureen Morrow, on Saturday 7th September 2013 as part of a specially organised open day.
Photograph credits to Larne Borough Council
The market yard comprises of a number of buildings and open sheds dating from the 1830’s, attributed to Charles Lanyon.
The site is B1 listed and received Listed Building grant aid from the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA). The building is also on the BARNI register (Buildings at Risk in Northern Ireland) and is due to be removed following a final inspection.
Kennedy FitzGerald was appointed following a design competition for the regeneration of the market yard. This project involved maintaining as much of the existing structure and fabric of the Victorian era complex as possible, while making the spaces more usable for the purposes of the client and local community.
The work included reordering and restoring the market house, restoring a fire damaged auction house and restoring and enclosing some of the originally open Belfast trussed sheds to provide a variety of spaces across the site.
Photos of the completed project are available on the Larne Market Yard project page.